[WIQPmail] N0IJ SOLP Mobile

JBaumgarte at aol.com JBaumgarte at aol.com
Mon Mar 11 14:52:06 CDT 2013

We were fortunate in that we didn't really see a lot of ice, and only had
to be super careful for about 45 minutes in the back woods of Sawyer and
Bayfield Counties.  In order to make this route, it requires a start about
100 miles from home (Duluth), and a lot of 2nd and 3rd level roads, but it
encompasses a solid block of 18 NW counties.  For the seven hours of the
contest, the car never stopped!  We just about ran it out of gas!  The  roads
were so rough in a couple of places that the Bencher paddle fell apart at  one
point.  Luckily, I had a small screw driver along to do the quick  fix!

My expert navigator/driver, NX0X did a magnificent job keeping us as close
to schedule as possible.  There was a time that we didn't think we would
make it to Douglas, our 18th county, but he got me there with 7 minutes to
spare  and found a hungry group which netted 25 Q's!  I've never worked so
much DX  mobile with DL3GA leading the pack with 10, DL6KVA with 6, OK2EC with
5, and several others.  Even had PJ7AA call in.  I know there was a  lot
more calling, but it was tough copy on almost all of them.

Getting edged out by K0PC (W9DND) is getting to be a bad habit!  I'm  happy
that I at least got 5 more Q's, but sure couldn't find those extra
counties that he had.  Knowing his skill and quality, I'm happy to be so  close.

What fun it was dealing with almost constant pile ups, and it made me
appreciate having the K3 in the car to accomplish this.  I join, Pat, K0PC,  in
saluting Lynn, K9KR, for his years of outstanding leadership in this
contest.  It was nice to get Lynn in the log at least once!

Band:        QSO  CW        QSO  SSB        TOTAL
80                  83                   0                   83
40                452                   0                  452
20                 435                   2                  437
15                    2                   0                      2

                    970                    2                972     Mults:
67   total score  204,171

    Includes all bonus and power factor

Hours:

1    132
2    142
3    121
4    150
5    154
6    123
7    152

Big thanks to the loyal group following us around and these great  ops:

N2CU 22, NY4N 21, N5DO 19, WA2VYA NA0N NT2A 16, K0TI 15, N9AUG W0GXQ K9UIY
KQ3F N4CD 14, and special mention to the westerners WA6KHK and W7GKF 13.

Lots of fun hearing so many of the MWA group and thanks to all for the  Q's.

John, N0IJ, Brian, NX0X