[WIQPmail] N0IJ SOM, 2014 WIQP

JBaumgarte at aol.com JBaumgarte at aol.com
Mon Mar 10 13:06:10 CDT 2014

This one is always a lot of fun--just not as much fun this year as  last!
Found condx and participation down, at least in the areas we  traveled in.
Hard to say for sure, as I had some problems with the K3--low  audio.  Had
to run both AF & RF gain wide open, and still had a hard  time
hearing--appologies to those I missed.  Also, forgot the rx button was  pushed on 80 from
the DX contest, which was embarrassing and explains why 2  counties had no
80 near the end!  Very happy for:  Driver, Terry,  W0TVD, who piloted us
through some of the worst roads in the state, that we  survived a 4 wheel slide
through slush on a back road in CHI, that I was  able to hold my cookies
down (barely) during the same stretch of road, that we  made all 18 of our
counties, and all the folks who followed us around and  provided so many Q's.
Not so happy about the rig issue, the fact the Q  count was down so much, and
the out state mult count was way down-- missing such  as NV, ID, NE, ND,
SD, AR, MS, LA, SC, VT, and ME, plus only getting VE3 in  Canada.

Amazed at all the dx activity, in fact the undercurrent of EU callers made
copy tough at times on 20.  OM2VL in the log 17 times plus gave him 2
other counties before the contest.  What a signal he has on  40.

QSO leaders:  KV8Q/22, N2CU/21, OM2VL/17, N0IM, K9NW &  AA4FU/15,  N0UR/14,
and several with 12.  Thanks!!

726 Q's and 68 mults for adjusted total of 157,104 points.  255 on 20,  455
on 40, 12 on 80 & 4 on 15.

John, N0IJ op
Terry, W0TVD driver