[WIQPmail] WE9V WQP

Chad Kurszewski chad.kurs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 11:07:39 CDT 2014

I posted this to the 3830scores.com / 3830 reflector, but thought I'd share
here too, along with some additional commentary.

One major thing different this year (versus my operating in 1998-2004) is
that I spent a lot of time LOOKING for the mobiles.  In years past, I
strictly CQ'd and let the mobiles come to me.  It seems that the mobiles
have shifted their strategy over the last decade and now strictly call CQ
themselves.  The "bad news" is that I couldn't call CQ much on 40CW because
I was looking for the mobiles there.  I did work some SO2R, calling CQ just
a few khz above but the 2nd K3 was complaining about HI RF, even at 100w
levels.  I also did some 40PH simultaneously (only TX at a time, of
course), but it tore up the CW band pretty bad too.  Guess it all worked
out in the end.  A very, very high multiplier total.

And to be completely honest, the reason why I haven't operated in 10 years
(with one exception) was that I was boycotting WQP.  The reason was the
single plaque for "top single operator".  Don't get me wrong.  The mobiles
do an AWESOME, AWESOME job, and they should be rewarded.  Period.  But to
lump the SOF with the SOM just didn't seem right, as it's two completely
different types of contest.  From 2003 through 2013, only once in 11 years
has a SOF beat a SOM.   Another interesting tid-bit.  Thanks for K0PC
sharing "we had 227 unique calls in the log".  As a comparison, I had 560
uniques, but had 104 less QSOs than Pat.  Said another way, Pat, on
average, had 3.75 QSOs with each station (853/227), whereas I had 1.34
(749/560).

(I hope the above doesn't seem like a complaint.  I am not complaining nor
am I sour.  I simply voted by abstaining.  I, and others, had tried
to initiate change through the years, but failed.  I am grateful to WARAC
for all they've done for the WQP for so many years.  I'm just much more
happy that they've listened and incorporated some change this year.  THANKS
WARAC!!!!!)

I'm so very glad to see the additional plaques available now!  More wood
for everyone!   BTW, I'm on the board of directors for the Society of
Midwest Contesters.  I (along with KA9FOX's help) got the SMC to sponsor
the SOF plaque.  I expect sponsorship will continue for a long time.
 Thanks for making it available for outside sponsorship.  It's a great
contest and the SMC is proud to be a part of it, and support radiosport,
especially locally in the "Black Hole".

Special thanks to K0PC for creating the APRS map, and to the mobiles for
using APRS.  I've never really used APRS/mapping before, but it was sure
helpful to see when a mobile was entering a new county and I needed to give
a listen on 40CW.

                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: WE9V
Operator(s): WE9V
Station: WE9V

Class: SO Fixed LP
QTH: KEN
Operating Time (hrs): 7
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1      1
   80:   72     75
   40:  191    174
   20:  108    107
   15:    1     16
   10:    2      1
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  375    374  Mults = 123  Total Score = 207,378.0

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

After a 10 year hiatus (excluding a short part-time effort 3 years ago), it
was
good to operate this one again.  What a fun time.  It was hard work trying
keep track of and work all the mobiles.  You guys do such a fantastic job.
worked 69 of the 72 counties.  I believe one was activated but I missed it
(JACkson), and I'm not sure about the other 2 (CLArk and WOOd).  I only
missed
2 states, RI and OK.  Was surprised to work VY1, but missed "easy"
VE2 and VE6.

After making a few thousand QSOs last weekend as P40L in the ARRL DX SSB
contest, I found it difficult to find my own callsign, and even worse, I
wanted
to use "five-nine K" instead of "five-nine Kenosha".

Thanks everyone for the QSOs, and thanks again to the mobiles.

Chad WE9V
http://www.we9v.com