[WIQPmail] Spotting

Robert Lunsford kb8uey at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 09:05:04 CST 2016

Been sitting on the sidelines and reading the mail and figure now I will toss my thoughts in.  Yes, I am an outsider so to speak, but for the WI QSO Party I will be in Badger Land this year.  I have operated in both the Ohio and Indiana QSO Parties as well as several other contests.
First, as Chad pointed out nearly every other contest I have operated in bans self spotting.  Not saying I am against it, but just that it is typically a no-no in other contests.
Second, as someone who has operated in MANY contests including 2 separate state QSO Parties (as an in state entry) I have NEVER held one frequency for the duration of a contest, ever.  Between trying different modes and different bands as well as just plain having to move because someone moved right in on top of me, it just does not happen.
Third, watching APRS is just using the tools in the toolbox!  Sounds great to me, if your set up where you have it.
This will be my first time in the WI QSO Party, much less my first time in WI so I am not sure what kind of conditions I will encounter.  This will be completely different from my operation in the Ohio QSO Party in most years where I operate out of W8BI and have all sorts of antennas, high speed internet, and multiple (usually over 20) operators throughout the contest.  There will be 3 of us, either 2 or 3 transmitters, maybe internet or maybe not, all wire antennas in trees, and no amps.  So my overall thought is that the spotting is not going to make or break our operation since we will spend a little time hunting mults, but most of it trying to call and put Qs in the log.
See you in a few weeks!
Rob KB8UEYW9W/Rusk County