[WIQPmail] WO9B QRP Solo Mobile Excursion

Michael Johnson mike at palomonet.com
Mon Mar 14 16:21:44 CDT 2016

What an event.  Never done mobile before.  Never ran the WiQP QRP before.
But I had a goal and a plan.  Uh huh.

Planned to run in 5 counties and add a 6th time permitting.  It did, but
just barely.  Had the usual set of gremlins take hold of the operation:
 Bad coax jumpers.  RFI from my keyer which has never had RFI before.
Getting the computer to recognize the keyer port turned out to be
surprisingly challenging.  And of course the RF induced equipment lock ups
and what not.  The antenna did not want to play on 80 at all.  That pretty
much limited me to 40 (the money band) and 20.  Very limited success on 20,
unfortunately.

I did a rover operation and would stop and set up.  That actually worked
out pretty well, but the 60# antenna ballast was starting to win as the day
wore on.  And where I was (WOO, CLA, MON, JUN, JAC, ADA) the rain didn't
start until late in the day.  That was helpful.

Got bounced around doing the QRP tango, which was expected.  Managed to run
a frequency at each stop.  It was really fun.  Glad I was at least giving
20 a go, as I worked a couple of friends, K4BAI and N4NE.  The latter was
looking for me and, wow, he found me twice.  Good ears on his part.

   Band     CW QSOs     Pts  Mul   Mt2
         3.5      10      40    2    0
           7     124     496   34    1
          14      22      88   13    0