[WIQPmail] WIQP-Mail Digest, Vol 46, Issue 19

Rolf Krogstad rolf.krogstad at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 13:59:31 CDT 2021

KD9RNX de NR0T

I use a Yaesu FT-897D transceiver with an additional 500 Hz filter for CW
reception.
For antennas I have a Hustler mobile whip on 80, and old TenTec whips, one
40 and one on 20.  I have a hitch mount with a four foot mast.
At the top of that mast I have a Hustler VP-1 mounting plate which allows
me to connect the three whips to the one coax.
They angle away from each other.  This gives me instant band changes for
80-cw, 40-cw and all of 20 meters.
On the front fender I have another antenna, an Outbacker Perth.  It has a
tap to change bands.  At this low point in the solar cycle we have it tuned
for 40-SSB.  We have a manual A<>B antenna switch inside the car to flip
between the front antenna and the back antennas.
When sunspots improve we will probably set that antenna for 15 meters or 10
meters.

The key to mobile operating is to make sure you have good grounding for the
mounts.  The hood of my 2007 Toyota RAV4 needed tohave a cable added
grounding it to the chassis.  Once I did that the front antenna improved
500%.  I have also grounded the hitch mount to the chassis with a strip of
solid copper flashing.
73
Rolf  NR0T