[WIQPmail] WiQP - Have rig, will travel

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Tue Feb 12 15:42:34 CST 2013

I have operated portable in the Michigan and Ohio QSO parties dating
back to the 1990's.  I generally activate a county where there's a very
low, or non existing record score in the QRP category.  There are many
such counties in Ohio and Michigan. There are also many counties with
low or non-existing records for Low and High Power, but that's not my "bag."

Go to ARRL.org, search for affiliatedclubs within whatever miles you'd
care to travel from your zip code, IF you want to borrow an existing
station and/or antenna as a "guest operator."

Personally, I generally find a campground or park in a small town in the
county which I desire to activate and set up a portable station.  I ask
the park board or camground director for permission to operate,
generally outside of closing hours for parks, since both of these events
go until midnight. When it's cool, as it often is cool in April for the
Michigan QSO party, I'll operate from my vehicle, sometimes off the
battery, but most generally I find a place with 120 VAC availableand tie
into that. Trees make nice "naturally occurring antenna masts" in most
cases, though I bring along 40' of military surplus mast in case it need
it to support my dipole/inverted Vee antenna.

One caveat, I generally start considering the location of choice 4
months or more, so you're a bit behind the eight ball unless you can
find a ham who will allow a guest operator.  It frequently takes me two
to three months, sometimes more, to get permission. And, I always get
permission in writing, so I can fend off local or county police if they
don't understand ham radio.

GL es 73/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time