[WIQPmail] MOBILE Suffix

Wisconsin QSO Party wiqp at warac.org
Sun Mar 17 22:25:33 CDT 2013

Hi, Jim -

First, it's important to distinguish between signing and logging.

Standard CW mobile signing protocol for QSO parties is exactly what you say:  CALL/CTY.  All mobiles are strongly encouraged to sign this way.  On phone, too, or at least they should frequently say the county they are in.

Entering CALL/CTY in your log is always safe.  But if your logger is QSO-party-aware, you don't need suffix on the call - just enter the callsign where it belongs and the county abbreviation where it belongs.  This will save a few keystrokes.

If your program is not QSO-party-aware, please DO NOT enter weird suffixes to trick the program so it won't complain about dupes.  If it tricks your program, it will probably trick our log check software, too.  As I said above, entering CALL/CTY is always safe.  If your logger can't accept this, maybe you need a different one.

Hope this helps,
 - Tom, K9BTQ
   WIQP team