[WIQPmail] Log question

Tom Macon tmacon at wi.rr.com
Tue Mar 15 22:22:54 CDT 2016

Rob -

There's an old contesting adage that you log what you hear, and you can't go wrong with that.

But in your logger, you can save a little typing if you log just the base callsign in the callsign field and the county/state into the exchange field. After the first Q with a particular station, the logger's Dupe indication should go away as soon as you enter a different county, so this shouldn't be a problem.  FWIW, our log check software automatically removes appended info if it matches the exchange info. This makes dupe checking more reliable.

On-the-air protocol is a different matter. Mobiles/portables/rovers usually append their current county to their callsign. This is a clue that the next time you hear him, his county will probably be different and you can work him again.  Also, out-of-state fixed stations calling CQ often append their state to avoid calls from other out-of-staters.

The protocol stuff is more important on CW but something equivalent is usually used on phone. Of course there are variations among different ops.

I hope this helps and thanks for coming to Wisconsin!

 - Tom, K9BTQ
   WIQP team