[WIQPmail] How to Improve My WIQP Performance

Tom Macon tmacon at wi.rr.com
Tue Mar 6 20:33:50 CST 2018

Hi, Scott –
Thanks for your posting … It sounds like you’ve put some thought into your operation and I think you’ve got a lot of things covered.

Here’s my take on it: basically it’s Q’s times mults, so you need to maximize both. For max Q’s, you need to run whenever possible. S&P will probably give you 40 – 60/hr, while running should give you twice that, assuming enough people can hear you. Of course, CW counts twice, so do that whenever you can.

To maximize mults, you need states plus counties. The best way to get states is on 20, so try to spend time there early when it’s most active. 40 is the bread and butter band, both for counties and eastern states later on. Keep an eye on 80, especially if 40 isn’t living up to expectations. Some years I have been surprised by the number of northern counties I can pick up during the last ½ hour on 80.

Of course, all of this is highly dependent on conditions, so be agile and keep asking, “can I do better somewhere else?”
-Tom, K9BTQ