[WIQPmail] Mobile: low band phone question

Michael Johnson mike at palomonet.com
Fri Mar 6 13:04:04 CST 2020

Jon,

Good question.  I ran 80 CW last year and was totally impressed with the
results even though I was running a really high SWR and maybe 40 watts of
power.    Looking at last year's mobile results, there was activity by
mobile phone ops.  This year the plan is try 80 phone for multipliers.
Time to do some S&P for county mult's.  It is well worth it when you've got
another 5 minutes in a county and you've kind of run through the list of
workable stations.

We are definitely going to do 80 much earlier than last year.  20 was kind
of disappointing last year.  Spent a lot of time without getting many
contacts.

As for the MNQP, I did make a number of SSB Q's on 80.  I wasn't running
mobile, but late in the day, 40 meters was pretty much done and I ran the
80 CW stations so phone was my last option.  It worked well.

Propagation looks like it will be similar to last year.  It would be nice
to get 20 and 40 back to normal, but it doesn't look like that will be the
case this year.

MJ, WO9B