[WIQPmail] WIQP at W9ET

wiqp at warac.org wiqp at warac.org
Wed Mar 16 07:16:16 CDT 2022

How 40m performs for in-state propagation has a direct correlation to the sunspot cycle.  During a low sunspot cycle, 40m has poor propagation for in-state contacts and 80m is a much stronger performer.  Operators move to 80m much earlier in the contest during low sunspot cycle years.  As we approach the peak, 40m and 80m swap performance based on total number of in-state QSOs and we tend to move to 80m later in the contest.  This year we also had a solar storm to content with, so no doubt we will seem some impact on the stats for 2022.

We track this phenomenon in the results write-up.  You can find the chart in last year’s results write-up at https://www.warac.org/wqp/2021/results2021.pdf on page 2 of the document.

-73, Chuck  W9WLX

WIQP Team