[WIQPmail] Want more WIQP Mobiles?

davek9ty davek9ty at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:34:04 CDT 2022

Totally agree! Well, both need to go: the 2x cw scoring advantage and the spotting rule. Or as I had suggested a few years back, rename the event for full transparency: The Wisconsin CW QSO 🥳 party!Same sentiment as well: was not looking to "win" but found it disheartening to know a mobile ssb can NEVER win or even place close to the top.Hope to get back into QP mobile fun again some year...if time and life permit. It'll be ssb (I do attach a mini cw key to the stickshift for PTT, so maybe that counts as CW🤣)Dave NelsonK9TYSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Dave White via WIQP-Mail <wiqp-mail at warac.org> Date: 5/13/22  12:56 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: wiqp-mail at warac.org Cc: Dave White <dave.white56 at gmail.com> Subject: [WIQPmail] Want more WIQP Mobiles? A major problem for mobiles, especially SSB mobiles, in the WI QSO Party is the rule that prohibits self spotting.  The CW mode mobiles have automatic default spotting via the Reverse Beacon Network (RBN), but there is no similar mechanism for SSB mode.  We drive over to Minnesota and operate mobile SSB mode (as "K0M") for their QSO party and have a blast activating counties.  Because they allow self spotting SSB mode, mobile is very productive there.  Without self spotting, SSB mode mobile is a frustrating waste of time.  Most of us don't care about winning, so we can live with the archaic x2 "CW" scoring advantage, but we can't be productive and have fun as an SSB mode mobile without self spotting.  I'll guarantee that there will be more Wisconsin mobiles activating rare counties if you abolish the rule prohibiting self.   Dave White - KZ9V