[WIQPmail] APRS usage in WIQP Question

Michael Johnson mike at palomonet.com
Sun Mar 3 14:12:37 CST 2024

Hi Scott,

We monitor APRS to keep an eye on the mobile locations with the hopes of
maybe picking up a multiplier or two.  I can't say we are very successful
at it, but at least that is the idea.  It is super helpful if the mobiles
list their APRS tag.  FYI, we APRS ping via an iPhone app.  Internet
coverage is pretty solid, at least in the parts of WI where we are, so that
keeps things really simple.

When we publish our route info, we will include an APRS label.  I don't
know how many people actually follow the APRS maps, but the activity level
sure does spike when we cross a county line.

Good luck on your WIQP adventure.  We are really looking forward to next
weekend!!

MJ, WO9B