[WIQPmail] Rover Operation Tips??

Michael Johnson mike at palomonet.com
Thu Jan 28 11:45:39 CST 2016

I'm not sure exactly what I'm stirring up here, but here goes.  I'm
planning on doing a rover operation in the WIQP this year.  Never done one
before so I am literally starting at ground zero.  I am looking for any
sort of advice, counsel, warnings...whatever might be helpful.

I've been working this out for a month or so now, and I've got a plan in
place, so at least that's a start.  I've got a route figured out that will
take me to 5 counties.  I am planning on running a CW QRP operation and
will be using N!MM for logging and keying the radio.  I'm a bit concerned
about the laptop battery duration, so I will incorporate a power inverter
in the equipment.  For the radio, I will be using battery power and have 4
battery packs which will provide about 13 Ah of power.  I've also got a
battery charger that I can bring along to top off discharged units.

I'll be running this solo and plan not to operate mobile.  As mentioned
before, I've got the route planned with suitable stopping places to allow
me to set up an antenna.  The antenna will be an end fed wire antenna
supported with a "Wonderpole" and works on 20, 40 and 80.  Not planning on
finding trees.  The pole and support stand set up and break down very
quickly.  The way the route works out, I've got 10-15 minutes driving time
between setups and figure station setup will take 5-10 minutes with another
5 minutes to break it down.  So each setup burns roughly 30 minutes which
takes up about 2 hours of the contest time.  Puts me on the air for roughly
5 hours max.

My goals are really simple:  Survive and have a good time.  Worry about the
score another time.

So what am I missing?  Does this have any chance of working per plan?

Thanks.

MJ, WO9B